TOLL-FREE 604-684-4211

Does Canadian immigration law allow residents to work in U.S.?

Any Canada residents who are considering crossing the border to work in the U.S. may have many questions about the legal procedures related to visas and other documents. Canadian immigration law can be complicated. The H-1B is a non-immigrant work visa that allows citizens of Canada to do temporary work in the U.S. However, one of the requirements is that it must be in a specialty occupation, and an applicant must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent — at least. These occupations can include financial analysts, engineers, web designers or programmers, computer analysts, or accountants who must have a firm job offer from an employer who will sponsor the visa applicant.

However, there are exceptions. Fashion models could qualify for an H-1B visa even without a bachelor’s degree. If the model is of unique ability or merit with international recognition or national prominence, he or she can work in the U.S. The model must also have had significant achievements as a model.

Another exception is a Canadian entrepreneur who owns a business in the U.S. Such a person can sponsor him or herself for an H-1B visa if the individual has the required education level. However, the entrepreneur will have to be a registered employee of the company.

Consulting with a skilled lawyer who has exceptional knowledge of U.S. and Canadian immigration law may provide answers to all the questions the client may have about visas and other requirements. An experienced lawyer who is registered to work in both Canada and the U.S. can provide more detailed information related to the different visa options. Such a professional can then give the necessary guidance and support for preparing the required documents and other required proceedings.

Source:, “H-1B Visa.“, Accessed on Dec. 10, 2016