TOLL-FREE 604-684-4211

Cross-Border Slip and Fall Accidents

Accidents are inconvenient and can cost you time and money – especially if they happen across the border. If you are a Canadian and have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Washington State, we recommend you consult with a personal injury lawyer who can assist with cross-border accident claims.

Though the severity of your injury caused by an accident may vary, dealing with two different laws, healthcare regulations, and insurance practices in two different countries can add another layer of complexity. At Border Solutions Law Group, our cross-border personal injury lawyers have assisted numerous clients (both Canadian and American) with cross-border accident claims. We are dual licensed, meaning you do not need two lawyers on the same case – we can represent you in both the US and Canada. Contact us today to discuss the specifics of your slip and fall accident.

Cross-Border Slip and Fall Accidents Can Be Serious

Slip and fall injuries can lead to very serious injuries. While some results may indeed be mild, such as small bruises or cuts, some injuries, like broken bones, spinal cord damage, or brain injuries, can have life-altering, traumatic impacts.

We recommend that immediately following a slip and fall accident, you seek out medical attention. This is because sometimes injuries may not be immediately apparent. A medical professional can also provide you with insights on what to look out for based on your pre-existing medical condition(s) and also give you valuable advice for your recovery or treatment. Especially in instances where you have hit your head because concussions may not immediately present themselves and require an extra level of care to look out for concussion symptoms.

Types of Slip and Fall Accidents

There are many hazards that may cause a slip and fall accident. Here are a few examples that you may encounter:

  • Cramped walkways
  • Broken tiles, hardwood, or other flooring
  • Slippery or wet floors
  • Broken or uneven steps
  • Uneven flooring
  • Improperly cleared snow or icy walkways
  • Inadequate cautionary signs in a hazard area
  • Dimly lit walking areas
  • And more

There are many kinds of maintenance-related issues that could make an area hazardous – a significant one being negligence. A property owner has a duty of care to the visitor, ensuring that the location maintains a standard of safety – for both residential and commercial properties.

Our Vancouver cross-border slip and fall lawyers may be able to discuss the legalities surrounding your accident to see if you are owed compensation.

Potential Injuries from Slip and Fall Accidents

 Injuries from slip and fall accidents can range from mild to severe. They could be broken bones, fractures, or sprained muscles. They could also include concussions and brain injuries, torn ligaments, spinal cord injuries, paralysis, or neck and back problems.

A slip and fall accident could also trigger an already existing condition or injury and lead to chronic pain. In situations such as these, your day-to-day activities could be impacted for an indefinite period of time, and your pain may even prevent you from being able to work. If the property owner of the location where you hurt yourself is found negligent, you may be owed some degree of legal restitution. Contact our law firm for a free consultation on these types of matters.

What to Do If You Are Injured across the Border

If you have been injured across the border, the very first step is to seek medical attention. Be sure to record all information about the treatment you receive, including the location, administered medication, the doctors who treated you, and more.

If you believe negligence played a part in your slip and fall accident, you should consult with a lawyer. As a Canadian visiting Washington State, you may have to take your claim for damages to the jurisdiction in which you were injured. Washington has specific laws surrounding negligence and premises liability, so your lawyer can help you navigate the processing of a claim.

There are major differences between filing a claim in Washington State and British Columbia, including different limitation periods and types and amounts of available compensation. It is also important to note that British Columbia has a cap on damages for pain and suffering while Washington State does not.

Oftentimes in a cross-border injury, you will have two claims going at once – you may file a tort claim in the country where you were hurt, while also perhaps filing a claim with your insurers in your home country. Contact our Vancouver cross-border slip and fall lawyers at Border Solutions who may be able to streamline this process for you.

Financial Implications in Cross-Border Slip and Fall Claims

The financial implications of a cross-border slip and fall accident can vary. There are many factors that impact how much money you may walk away with, including medical bills, legal fees, and more. For example, if you are a Canadian traveling in the US and you are injured, you may be left with medical bills to pay. These costs may later be paid back through your tort claim and/or insurance, depending on your coverage, insurance type, and the outcome of your tort claim.

Washington’s financial awards may seem higher, but your return may be greatly reduced depending on the costs of your litigation. In Washington, each party covers their own costs while in BC, the insurer may cover these fees.

Contact Our Cross-Border Slip and Fall Lawyers Today

There are many nuances that come into play when you get injured from a slip and fall accident outside of your home country. To best protect yourself, you should speak to a knowledgeable cross-border personal injury lawyer at Border Solutions.

We specialize in cross-border issues and can guide you through the complicated process of filing two claims at once in two separate countries. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.