TOLL-FREE 604-684-4211

How Border Solutions Law Can Assist Residents of Vancouver Who Have Been Injured in Motor Vehicle Accidents in Washington

Motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of injury worldwide. The impacts of a single collision can be life-altering. From fractured bones to whiplash and traumatic brain injuries, an injured accident survivor may face significant recovery time that takes them away from being able to earn an income. In some cases, an injury may prevent a person from returning to gainful employment ever again.

Though no amount of money can truly compensate for the hardships a motor vehicle accident can cause, there may be financial support available to offset the costs of medical care, lost income, pain and suffering, and more. Even if you are the resident of one jurisdiction and have been injured in another, you may be entitled to monetary compensation through a motor vehicle accident claim.

At Border Solutions Law Group, our lawyers are dually licensed in British Columbia and Washington State, and may be able to help you through every step of your claims process. Contact us today to discuss the particulars of your case, and learn what may be possible for you.

What is a Cross-Border Injury Claim?

If you are a resident of Vancouver and have been injured while travelling across the border, you may be eligible for compensation through a cross-border injury claim. You would likely first start the process through a personal injury claim in Washington State. This first claim is a tort known as a Summons and Complaint (it has a counterpart in BC, called a Notice of Civil Claim). Through a Summons and Complaint, you may receive compensation from the insurance company representing the at-fault driver.

In Washington State, most drivers carry only the minimum amount of insurance coverage – up to $25,000. If the damages you have sustained as a result of the accident exceed this amount, you may be able to recover more through a second claim once you return to BC.

Through ICBC, Underinsured Motorist Protection Claims are a policy aimed at helping “top up” compensation that has not been covered by an at-fault driver’s insurance. Our team of cross-border personal injury lawyers may be able to help you serve a Notice of Arbitration on ICBC, and guide you through the process.

What to Do If You Have Been in an Accident in Washington State

As with any accident, first ensure that you receive the medical attention you need. It is common to be in shock immediately after an accident, which may make it difficult to fully appreciate the severity of an injury. Not only can it be vital to your health to seek medical support, official medical records can also be essential to a future claim, should you choose to pursue compensation.

If it is safe to do so, take pictures or videos of the accident scene, and record any information that may be useful. This can include the names and contact information of witnesses. You should also take down the information of the at-fault driver, as well as their insurance number.

Speaking With Insurance Companies

You do not need to speak with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. In some cases, it may be best to avoid communicating with them altogether. It is possible that the at-fault driver’s insurance company may request information that could be used to strengthen a case against you.

You do have a duty to communicate with your own insurance companies. If you have travel insurance, for example, you need to communicate what has ocurred in order to receive support. Travel insurance can be tremendously helpful in helping to cover hospital stays in the US, the costs of damaged property, and, in extreme cases, the costs of a medical evacuation.

When you return to Vancouver, you must report a claim to ICBC if you wish to be eligible for benefits.

Contact Border Solutions Law Group for a Free Initial Consultation

If you or someone you love are a resident of Vancouver and have been injured in a motor vehicle accident in Washington, you do not need to navigate two legal systems on your own. When you work with a cross-border car accident claim lawyer at Border Solutions Law Group, you may be sure to have the support of a dedicated team that understands the nuances of both jurisdictions. Contact us today to learn more, and schedule your free initial consultation.