TOLL-FREE 604-684-4211

Immigration advice for Canadian students studying in U.S.

College or university students in British Columbia or other Canadian provinces or territories have the prospect of furthering their studies across the border in the United States. However, the student must meet certain requirements and conditions to qualify for such an immigration program. Financing for participation must come from a source other than family or personal funds. This could be the Canadian or the U.S. government, a British Columbia organisation or an international institute to which the United States has affiliations.

There must be a written agreement between the two institutions, the U.S. and Canada governments, or one of the two governments and the institution. Participation in any program must be for an internship, a degree-granting program or a non-degree granting course. Students will be allowed to remain in the U.S. for the full extent of a degree-granting program but no longer than 24 months for classes that do not grant degrees.

Each foreign student must have a host, which will typically be the institution at which he or she is enrolled for participation in a specific program. It is the duty of the host to verify that the student has the required credentials for enrollment and that the student completes the full course. With the approval of the host institution, a student may be part of paid or unpaid training programs or secure part-time employment.

A lawyer who is licensed to practice in both Canada and the United States can answer questions about legal requirements for college or university student immigration programs. A cross-border lawyer with a comprehensive understanding of the legal systems and requirements for British Columbia students can ensure that the appropriate visa and other documents are in place. A lawyer who can provide up-to-date immigration advice in a time when changes are prevalent can be a valuable asset.

Source:, “College and University Student Program“, Accessed on May 27, 2017